Dr. Martin Hertzberg, a retired Navy meteorologist with a PhD in physical chemistryCites this media article this media article
However the article doesn't directly quote Hertzberg much and even contradicts him in one case.
The Lynching of Carbon Dioxide -The Innocent Source of Life by Dr. Martin Hertzbergment (PDF) is a better source of arguments directly from him
- warming causes co2 rise not the other way round
- co2 is already saturated
- CO2 concentration is small
- water vapor is the most powerful greenhouse gas
- Scientists' conclusions are motivated by money.
- Ice age predicted in the 70s (well he says 60s, but same deal)
- It warmed before 1940 when CO2 was low
- CO2 rise is caused by the oceans
- Volcanos emit more co2
- co2 lifetime in atmosphere is only 5 years
- Seems to suffer from a focus on co2 emissions rather than co2 concentrations, ie to think emissions should correlate with warming rather than concentration.
- Confuses atmospheric average lifetime of a co2 molecule with the residence time for a pulse of co2 added:
"The global warming advocates including the IPCC argue that the CO2 we emit into the atmosphere lasts for centuries....The most authoritative study of the lifetime of CO2 in the atmosphere was done by a Norwegian, Professor Tom Segalstad of the University of Oslo. The measured lifetime, based on the studies of some 50 independent researchers is at most about 5 years"
An original argument..
1. human co2 emissions fell 30% from 1929 (1.17 Gt) to 1932 (0.88 Gt).
2. But co2 concentration rose about 1.5ppm in that time.
3. Given 1+2, therefore human co2 emissions aren't causing the rise in co2.
This brilliant argument is described as:
"One of the more dramatic contradictions to the Gore-IPCC hypothesis is one that I came up with myself, and which appealed to Cockburn and to an Australian group of fellow skeptics."